top of page

Plastering in detail...

In the sections below, we describe the differences between common phrases and terminology used in the plastering trade. We talk about the products and methods used to produce the best finish.

Plastering / Skimming

The term Plastering applies to a wide range of applications within their trade. For example, some materials need more coats of plaster than others, and there are lots of different methods associated with doing a good job. 

Skimming is a term that is specific to finishing a plastered wall, whether that be a re-skim on old walls or a new skim on freshly plasterboarded walls.


Render has come a long way in recent times as new products and applications have come to the market giving consumers much more choice. Traditionally, sand and cement/lime based renders were the application of choice, but because of good old British weather, maintenance and painting can get a bit much so it paved way for the new pre-coloured renders to fill a void in the market. Now it has become the most popular choice of my customers as it comes in just about any colour eliminating the need to paint. Through-colour renders are either water resistant or absorbent depending on your needs, but both have the flexibility that sand and cement does not, massively reducing the risk of cracking and bond failure. 

Plaster skimming / rendering

Damp proofing

Rising damp is capillary action caused by penetrative water is from an outside source. A lot of old buildings in Stockton on tees especially the areas that had the cavity wall insulation suffer from damp and frequently need attention. This is because the cavity wall bridges the due point and allows penetrating water to cross the gap leaving the internal walls to show efflorescence (salt corrosion).

The answer is usually to install a chemical DPM to prevent water ingress. 

If your home has damp i can go further into detail upon a quotation request. 

Patch work and repairs

From a foot through a ceiling to a car through the front window and everything in between. I've seen it all. I generally do a lot of repair work when working with other trades.

I cover all the small jobs too, filling and repairing damaged plasterboard walls and filling holes and moved sockets. generally i get most small jobs from homeowners and landlords that need a quick repair to carry on with other decor.

I do offer a call out service for emergencies and recommend you prepare to pay big time!!!

you know!!!

bottom of page